Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Still very hot but at least I can watch the tour now

Still having intermittent WiFi connection issues which is all a bit of a mystery but at the moment its good so here's an update on the last couple of days. Friday was a 'training' day so I mixed it up with some longer sweetspot/threshold efforts and some 2 minute and sprint intervals, bit better than earlier in the week which is good, particular the 10 second sprints which are now over 1200 watts which might not be earth shattering in the big leagues but I'm pretty happy with that. There was a bit of cloud cover in the morning when I went out so just a tad cooler for most of the ride, it was only on the ride home that the sun came through and we went to 34c. A bit of excitement (for me) at the hotel this evening, the BMC U23 are in residence, 2 trucks, 2 team cars, 1 DS, 1 mechanic, 2 soigneurs, 5 riders - pretty good ration I would say. A big race on Saturday around Zottergem, just down the road, the guys were telling me that its a bit of a mini Tour of Flanders, 175km using lots of the ToF famous climbs. A 100km loop, then 5 laps around Zottergem. For dinner I got the "sports meal', same as the team, I don't do enough to eat that much anymore! so I didn't commonsense said I ate half of each serving except the salad and even then I felt really stuffed. It was avert warm and very very humid night, very uncomfortable. The forecast for Saturday is more of the same, the hottest day yet before it eases a bit on Sunday, glad I'm not racing 175km.
Saturday morning I had a real result, I've been having trouble with rear mech this week, gear changing at the back is very temperamental. Don't really understand it, the bike went into the box perfect, came out with a problem. Anyway I persuaded the young mechanic to have a look at it assuming that for an expert it would be a quick adjustment, it wasn't but he stuck at it and fixed it for me. Hooray for BMC. Second score was that I forgot to bring safety pins, here you get a number but no pins, so you always need your own, for the first time this year I forgot! I managed to blag a dozen from one of the soigneurs who was very generous, second hooray for BMC. I've done 90 minutes just spinning the legs ready (I hope) to race tomorrow at Dikkelvenne with the WAOD, its about 30 mins away, so no pressure for a 12.30 start, I've not raced there before but I'm anticipating a flat course. I'm now settled down in front of the big screen in the lounge watching stage 1 of the tour on Sporza BE, the commentators are giving Rohan Dennis a big build up, mind you they just did the same for Luke Durbridge and he didn't do so well. Huge crowd, glad I'm not there in the heat, its making me think of my own plans to go to stage 4 if its still hot. PS late update Jurgen just joined me and shouted me a nice glass of red wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment